With all that is happening around the world, the term “sanitization” is not a new term for mankind of today. Over the past few months, our lives have gone for a complete toss with the onset of this pandemic. It is made clearer to us about the importance of staying safe and sane amidst this chaos.
Out of all the stuff, that we clean….have we ever given a thought as to how safe is our electronic devices? Of course, our mobiles are not an exception. Do you know, that according to a recent survey, it is estimated that we touch our phones every 12 minutes? This is for sure, not a safe use and to prevent germs and bacterial creeping in our body, it is as important to sanitize our mobile phone as much as our body. Properly cleaning and disinfecting them is always important to prevent the spread of potentially harmful pathogens, not just during an outbreak of this scale.
However, there is a thin line of difference between cleaning and disinfecting.
Cleaning is defined as the process of removing germs, bacteria and visual impurities. This is not a stressed step, as cleaning doesn’t remove or make the germs vanish. This is something that is specific to be noted
On the other hand, disinfecting is a process in which chemicals are used to clean the surface irrespective of the kind of devices which needs to be used.
One should always focus on disinfecting a lot more than cleaning, as the latter is much more stringent method of removing germs and other foreign particles.
Hence, there are a few steps in which you can implement the same and can keep yourself safe from the outbreak.
❖ Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items.
❖ Avoid excessive wiping, which might in turn damage the surface of your device
❖ Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
❖ Keep liquids away from the product, which might lead to an unwanted spill.
❖ Don’t get moisture into any openings.
❖ Don’t use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives. These are said to be too harsh and are highly not recommended to be used on mobiles
❖ Don’t spray cleaners directly onto the item.
Tips to keep your phone clean at all times:
Ever since the pandemic has started ruling our planet, it is visible that the cautious rate of people on sharing one’s stuff to another has had quite a drastic increase. No matter where we turn, the awareness mentality has crept in finally especially in today’s day and age.
- Due to the lockdown being extended since the past 3 months people have been working home constantly and are etched to their phone. This is where a conscious move needs to be made. During a conversation, it is quite natural, that you place your phone all close to your ear and hold it firm. However, today, it is highly recommended that you use your phone using a headset or put it in speaker mode.
- It is a high time that we use phone cases, especially the wrapping ones which prevents us. And yes, the cases need to be used cleaned more often too.
- Be careful where you place your phone, especially in public places. When you need to put your phone down or away, keep it on your lap or so rather than placing it on a counter or other object in public.
- One of the most vital things to remember is that disposable gloves needs to use at all times, irrespective of any cleaning methodology during this time
- You need to establish a strict regime, especially for cleaning. Don’t be paranoid and be obsessed by cleaning your phone throughout the day. The frequency of cleaning varies in the situation at which you are. For example, phones used in hospital patient rooms or shared among various workers should be disinfected at a higher frequency compared to phones used in other locations or by only one person. So you get it right? The more the usage in public places or where you have exposure to the outside world, the more stringent is the cleaning supposed to be done
Also, while doing the above steps properly, it is essential to clean your hands properly too. Handwashing using both soap and water and sometimes even a liquid solution is highly appreciated and make sure that you lather hand at least for a minimum of 20 seconds. That’s the bare minimum and that’s all it takes to keep yourself from germs as well.
Don’ts to be strictly followed:
❖ DON’T submerge the device in water.
❖ DON’T use alcohol concentrations greater than 70%.
❖ DON’T use bleach, ammonia, compressed air or hydrogen peroxide.
❖ DON’T leave a residue that could lead to electrical short or that could damage the device.
By performing these procedures step-by-step, individuals will not only protect their mobile devices from dust and dirt, but they will also reduce the risk of contracting a disease. Always remember that safety should be kept at utmost priority. It is as important to stay away from this crisis by protecting oneself by following the above measures.
Once you start implementing the above steps, you will see a major shift in keeping your safety and sane at check. Safe is always better than sorry.